Thursday, July 7, 2011

One Month and Counting


I am one month away from another big trip of a lifetime. For the past 3 months I have been super intentional about my training for my bike ride around Lake Superior. As of right now, it looks like August 6 will be my push off date. In the span of just under 3 weeks, I will ride just shy of 1500 miles. My bike is in the shop getting fixed up and outfitted for this trek as I type. This weekend I will begin riding 50 - 80 miles a day with 15 - 20lbs of extra weight in my paneer bags regardless of weather conditions to continue to get my body in shape for the trip. I'm hoping to squeeze in at least two 100 mile rides as well in the coming weeks. I'll continue with my weight lifting, upping my weights a bit more for the final month.

As I think about this blog and when and why it began with my journey back to Korea, it seems fitting that I will conclude a year of blogging with this bike trip. I have mentioned this before, but it will definitely feel like I have completed a full circle in so many ways over the last year of my life. I am hoping that many good things will come to me as I prep for the trip and as I embark. I cycle in search of clarity, meaning, place, love, acceptance, healing, mourning, and letting go.


With my bike getting geared up and preliminary shopping for a light weight solo tent (unless I can find someone willing to lend me theirs for 3 weeks), a few new bike duds, maps, and mileage plotting, I am sealed into this trip. It's not like I would have backed out anyway, but the reality - the excitement and shear terror too - is sinking in.

I'll be blogging about my training pre-trip, the trip itself once I am on my way and when I can actually have computer access, and probably some post trip thoughts to conclude this blog. Let the cleansing of mind, body, and soul begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment