Thursday, July 8, 2010

In the Sort of Beginning

Assumed to have been born LEE ChoHee January 14, 1978.

(I have some major Capricorn traits, so even if it's not the 14th, it's definitely within Capricorn territory!)

Apparently I was abandoned at a police station somewhere in Seoul with a note pinned to my clothing that said my birth date and name. According to some papers I have, I was 2 days old. I've always wondered what was happening to me in those 2 days...

(For many adoptees, the police station story is a familiar one but in most cases, it isn't true. What I have heard is that listing that actually expedited the international adoption process.)




This is a photo of Korea Social Service Receiving Home in which I spent the first 6.5 months of my life. I arrived here on January 16, 1978.

While it looks like a friendly place, I oftentimes wonder how often anyone paid any attention to me. Did I spend most of the time in my crib by myself? When I cried was I held and comforted? Was I played with? Talked to? Soothed? Cuddled? Was I important in someone's life or was I just someone's work?

I have been told that probably around the time I was there, over 200 children were there as well. It's hard to imagine this and it makes me sad to know this, especially when I have the wonders that I have about how much I was interacted with.




I came to Minnesota July 6, 1978. I was supposed to come 2 months earlier, but apparently the plane was full. You'd think they would have known that ahead of time. Times were different then I guess. My poor parents! I cant imagine how hard that was to think your baby was coming in May only to hear that you have to wait an additional 2 months!

Interestingly, I was also originally supposed to go to another family, but the mom found out she was pregnant and so they didn't want to adopt.

April 23, 1979 my adoption became official through Korea Social Service and Lutheran Social Service.

April 26, 1980 I became a citizen of the United States.

3 comments:

  1. It is always truly amazing to me the way life works out, the way destiny, fate, and sometimes pure coincidence moves and shapes our lives. I cannot imagine if you had never been part of my life, if you had been adopted by the family that was supposed to adopt you first. I know I would not be the person I am today without your influence, your love, and your support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have such similar stories, it is hard to read your blog and not cry. Though our lives are on different paths, this journey you are taking is as much a part of me as it is you. Thank you for sharing it with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cassie! I look at this journey very much through a lens that is about both of us. And I couldnt imagine, nor do I really want to, a life other than the one I have. Your influence, love, and support have helped shape me as well and I am thankful to have the amazing and wonderful family that I have!

    ReplyDelete