Friday, July 30, 2010

Faith


34 hours. You know it's getting close when you start counting down in hours instead of days! The reality of Korea continues to sink further into my being. It still doesnt all seem quite real to me, but it's getting closer and I find myself more emotional just thinking about it. I dont think I can say enough times what an overwhelming (in a good way) and powerful journey - pilgrimage really - of self-discovery this is going to be. I'm ready for it!

As much as I always say I believe things happen for a reason and that everything will turn out how it's supposed to, I think closer to the surface than I cared to admit, I really didnt buy it. It just seemed like a glamorous and hopeful way to frame the crap we step in in life and to, at least for me, have a rational excuse, a justification, to get out of doing the hard work in whatever situation. And while I maintained this nonchalant, kick my feet up attitude, inside, my body was screaming out in pain and agony as I desperately tried to fit square peg after square peg into round hole after round hole.

What does faith mean anyway? Growing up, faith always carried a religious connotation. Faith in the Lord, faith in the Spirit, faith in Christ, faith in God, faith in a life guided by God, etc. etc. But I have never felt like I had that kind of faith. Without going into a discussion of my spiritual beliefs (perhaps another blog), what I can say is that I just kind of clumsily crashed my way through life. In hindsight, it doesnt appear I had any true direction. I had direction I thought I was supposed to go. I had direction I really wanted to go, but I never felt like I was able to trust in anything to guide me except myself with a death grip on the reins.


It's interesting the timing of this trip. With some major life changes that have been happening to me and a reacquainting myself with myself, this upcoming trip is really having quite an impact on my way of being with myself and within the world. It feels good. I feel more free. I feel better about myself and in turn, I am a better person in the spaces I occupy. My mind feels clearer and my body feels more relaxed and at ease even when I step in life's crap. As I've blogged about memories, thoughts, feelings, wonders, etc. associated with this trip, I feel as if a part of me that I never knew was in there has emerged. Without even questioning why or really even wondering, I've just let it come out and come into this world and come into its own. It feels pretty amazing and this emergence of this different level of me I guess has really helped me feel more united within myself. With this unification has come more clarity and peace of mind.

What is faith to me today? As I have evolved over the past handful of months getting ready for this trip, I have realized what faith is to me. Faith is letting go and letting whatever will be be. No questions. No attachments. No interpreted or manufactured meaning. Just being for the sake of being. It's a very Buddhist kind of thinking I think, but it's really allowed me to exist in a place of peace and serenity and it's been awhile since I've felt serene in my life. I've mentioned before how I am a scheduler, a planner, and organized. I like to know the answers. I like guarantees in life. I like certainty. This trip and my emotional journey as it draws closer has really taught me, without even an intentional lesson, to have faith. It's all I can have. No matter how hard I try, that square peg will never fit into that round hole. No matter how much I try and control a situation or worry about someone elses life, I will always be neglecting myself. No matter how much I search for the answers I think there should be, I'll never find them. I think in order to authentically mean and believe it when I say everything happens for a reason, I really do have to have faith in that and that the meaning will have its meaning for its meaning's sake, not mine.


When I translate this into my own personal ways of moving about in this world, I feel as if it is easier for me to have faith in myself, in other people, in circumstances and situations, and to have faith in the universe that it will not let me down. I have absolutely no idea what awaits me in Korea. I have no idea what experiences I will have, what emotions I will have, what I will see, and what it will all mean to me. In order to have the fullest and truest experience in this very necessary and meaningful journey, I really have been able to let go and let be. I have found my faith.

4 comments:

  1. <3 Shawyn. We didn't make it on a bike ride before you leave/left, but you're in my thoughts and heart. Good luck on your path. I'm not spiritual, but I completely agree- a spiritual path is different than a religious journey and I'm glad you're finding your way. Good luck on your journey, safe travels, and your friends and family are here for you. We love you Shawyn, in every content we can- you're an amazing, strong person and you can't imagine what strength you give your friends. I am truly proud to call you a friend. I hope you find what your looking for :) <3 u :) Kelli and I wish you well on your journey and hope you get more answers than questions... But if not, I promise you are getting closer than you ever thought possible. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, love having to sign into my acct- anyway, I had a cute meaningful messsage in here, but the idea was we love you Shawyn, Kelli is super excited to meet you on our next bike ride, and we hope that you find what you're looking for... and if you don't- you know what you need, and we hope you find it. You know your friends and family are here for you. We love you. I'm personally proud to call you a friend- you're amazing. Good luck on your personal journey and I hope you find what you're looking for. I will be reading your blog (and reading it to Kelli because "Kelli's not a fan of reading" haha but Good luck and I wish you well on your journey. Can't wait to see you and hear about your trip. We're on for a ride when you come back! HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawyn, I have enjoyed reading your posts, thank you for including us in your journey. Your inner search for self is inspiring. I don't blame you for counting down the hours, minutes or seconds. Many of us can't even begin to imagine the road you are traveling and the turn it is about to take. I look forward to coming along with you through your words. Take care of yourself, travel safely and let your eyes, your emotions and your heart wander. Sincerely, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. your journey to self has been incredibly inspiring! And faith in the universe, while extremely difficult to maintain at times, is such an amazing to have...wow!!! It seems like you have turned some very power personal corner!

    ReplyDelete